Monday, March 03, 2008

Metta Put to the Test!!!


We recently had the most sumptuous opportunity to stay in and train the therapists at the Mayflower Inn and Spa in Connecticut. An exquisite spa surrounded by old world style and nestled within a natural preserve. The location is remote and the staff here helps to create an exclusive and luxurious experience.

It was here that my metta practice was put to the test.

Upon leaving, we had a one-hour trip from the spa to the airport with a very, very talkative driver. In this time both of us were doing our best not to engage . . . nevertheless he had a story to tell and he was going to tell it. All I wanted him to do was Shut-Up!! (did I mention this was at 4AM). He told us he was a recovering alcoholic (now scared for my life). He explained he had to make some difficult choices, and that sometimes the hardest choices to make are the ones that we know are the best ones for ourselves. Choosing to be sober was and still is a struggle for him, but the lasting happiness and joy is worth it all, he said.

After he dropped us off at the airport I finally realized how important he was and how invaluable the lesson he was trying to convey. Soon after that I picked up a book by the Dalai Lama and opened it to this sentence: “Treat everyone as if they were a close friend.”

My heart melted and I immediately felt like a selfish idiot . . . was I really that tired? Could I have done more? Listened more closely with compassion? Remembering what my father once said “It is what it is”, I understood I can’t really change the people or events I meet, but I can change how I treat and respond to them.

A prayer by the Dalai Lama:

May I become at all times, both now and forever

A protector for those without protection

A guide for those who have lost their way

A ship for those with oceans to cross

A bridge for those with rivers to cross

A sanctuary for those in danger

A lamp for those without light

A place of refuge for those who lack shelter

And a servant to all in need.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda J. Wallace said...

So eloquently stated Heath. I too really try hard to practice universal metta and compassion. It's trying some days with the spa environment. Someone even wrote on the board, "remember to treat people with kindness, everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

I had another Table Thai today and one last Saturday . I seem to be the only one who wants to do it. I've had 10 already. I love it and the guests always seem to love it too. Thanks again for your instruction and compassion.

Much metta and peace to you both!!!! Linda

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home