Saturday, February 10, 2007

Change Your Mind

If the first weeks of 2007 are any indication how the rest of the year is going to go. . . well, then my year is going to be full! I have been filled with family connections, personal retreats and growth, and work in new places.

Moving into a new year, we find ourselves leaning towards a fresh start. It feels like there’s a chance to recreate ourselves and to change our minds about something. I feel I have done just that! A familiar “visitor” has graced me with yet another opportunity to heal my relationship with my left knee. In the past, this reoccurring knee injury has been a royal pain in the arse consuming me with sulking tears and the repetitive mantra, “why me?” This time I just couldn’t get that angry, frustrated or sad. Maybe its all the yoga, or maybe its my new meditation practice, or perhaps the weekend spent at the Esalen Institute. Who knows? One thing feels pretty different, though. I realized from my repeated knee-pain visitor that I couldn’t necessarily change my body—but, I could change my mind.

Somehow, for some reason I changed my mind and it feels good. I am healing faster than ever and now I’m consumed with practicing loving kindness for myself. In this process I find myself having tea with my pain and am reminded by the wisdom of Rumi.

The GuestHouse

This being human is a guesthouse

Every morning a new arrival

A joy, a depression, a meanness

Some momentary awareness comes

As an unexpected visitor

Welcome and entertain them all!

Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows

Who violently sweep your house

Empty of its furniture

Still treat each guest honorably

He may be clearing you out

For some new delight

The dark thought, the shame, the malice

Meet them at the door laughing

And invite them in

Be grateful for whoever comes

Because each has been sent

As a guide from beyond

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home